Thursday, May 11, 2006

Out of the Loop

I've got that outside-looking-in feeling. This morning, my co-workers were out in the hallway discussing last night's episode of "American Idol". I couldn't participate because I've never seen the show. Ever. Nor can I participate in the discussions about "Survivor", "Big Brother", or any of the other reality shows.

Any show, really.

I haven't watched network television since the third or fourth season of "Will & Grace" and no one wants to talk about that. I have no idea who or what is lost on "Lost", nor would I know a desperate housewife if she walked up an introduced herself. I am clueless as to what exactly it is that has made Paris Hilton famous or why Britney Spears's latest pregnancy was worthy of a Yahoo headline.

Lest you think I live in a cave, I do watch some television. If anyone wanted to gather round the coffee machine and discuss last night's lineup on HGTV (Home and Garden Television, for the unitiated), then I have a good shot at being able to chime in with something worthwhile. Or, if they wanted to talk about Seasons 1 or 2 of "Monk" or any of the first three seasons of "Starsky and Hutch", I can play. I'm watching those while I do my daily treadmill.

I'm feeling decidedly outside the mainstream, and I'm a little surprised to discover that I don't really mind that much. In fact, I think I'm going to sign off now and go watch some HGTV.

Cammy





3 Comments:

Blogger Rich Dunbeck said...

You're not alone. I'm in the same boat. I haven't watched network primetime TV in ages. And I'm pretty sure I'm not missing anything.

And for the record, no one knows what made Paris Hilton famous. She just kinda blinked into existence one day and she hasn't left since. I suppose her upcoming role as Mother Teresa in a bio-movie should at least qualify her for infamy.

12:58 PM  
Blogger kimananda said...

I must live in a cave...we're actually pretty much decided to give our tv away as we simply don't watch it. I am convinced that neither of us is missing anything.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Cammy said...

Oh, thank goodness! It's not just me. :)

I have three televisions in my house, and none of them are on right now.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home